Translate

Saturday 11 June 2011

June 11, 2011

What is a Fruit Salad without Grenadilla???  I have had many growing in my garden but have never noticed the fine engineering that is so part of the process.  The little bumps on the flower bud remind me of tack-welding - they keep the protective covering together while the flower develops within. Once ready, the flower will erupt in all it's glory.
The next photo so clearly shows how this protection lasts long after the flower has gone.
We are experiencing a problem with black ants that get the best of about 50% of the flowers causing them not to come into fruition. The top two flowers have clearly become ant food.

5 comments:

  1. This brings back memories - we had a grenadilla vine in our garden when I was a child - beautiful shots Maggie..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Maggie - these are great - especially love the first pic. One of the tastiest fruits on the planet... sadly the vine in my garden is stripped by the marauding vervets, so I just let them be and buy some at Food Lover's Market in Ballito

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love the deep purple and maroon centres on the stark white.. Very pretty..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just love grenadillas and these two shots are really lovely. I especially like the second one showing almost all the stages of development.

    ReplyDelete